It’s that time of year again.
Well, that was ominous, you say. What time?
Time to get out your cold-weather clothes? Time to find and consume every pumpkin spice-flavored food imaginable? Time to snuggle up next to a fire to read a good book or watch some Netflix?
Well, yes, all of those things. But it’s also that time of year where seniors across America struggle to come up with a fun and relatable but unique yearbook quote in time to submit it with their senior pictures.
So! In honor of all the seniors out there, I have compiled a list of some of the best quotes from books and movies that would work fabulously next to any senior picture. They’re all from works that almost anyone would recognize, but most of them are overlooked enough that you wouldn’t have to worry about other people using them. I have also included my own analysis of each quote so you know exactly how you’ll come across to everybody else. So without further ado: senior quotes.
1) “I am no bird, and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will.” -Jane Eyre, Jane Eyre
What it says about you: You are somebody who is well-read and classy, but you are also super excited to be free from school.
2) “I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.” -Jane Austen, her own letters
What it says about you: You’re antisocial, but like in a cool way.
3) “What, like it’s hard?” -Elle, Legally Blonde
What it says about you: You are someone who has it together. You also have great taste in classic 00’s movies.
4) “Anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” -Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter
What it says about you: You are brave and daring (a true Gryffindor).
5) “Who says life is fair, where is that written?” -The Princess Bride
What it says about you: You’re a pessimist (again, with great taste).
6) “We’ll never survive!” / “Nonsense. You’re only saying that because no one ever has.” – Buttercup and Westley, The Princess Bride
What it says about you: You’re an optimist (in a slightly morbid way).
7) “When in doubt, go to the library.” -Ron describing Hermione, Harry Potter
What it says about you: You like books. Like, really like books.
8) “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” -Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit
What it says about you: Maybe you liked the people you went to school with, maybe you didn’t. Who really knows?
9) “Dobby is a free elf!” -Dobby, Harry Potter
What it says about you: You don’t fix what isn’t broken- this is a classic yearbook quote. You are finally your own person (or should I say elf).
(Note: If you still can’t pick a quote, just use literally anything from Mean Girls. That movie is iconic.)
*Title comes from the quote by Dorothy L. Sayers, “I always have a quotation for everything – it saves original thinking.”